Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Navigate Up
Sign In

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

 Which goods require an export licence?

Only those items listed in the Schedule to the Export Control Regulations (Subsidiary Legislation 117.02), require an export licence and only if they are being sent to non-EU countries. These are: 

- Antiques and articles and objects of historical value
- Carts, cabs and landaus
- Malta stone and objects made therefrom 
- Rough diamonds of headings 7102.10, 7102.21 and 7102.31
- Petroleum products, the following – petrol, fuel oil, diesel, kerosene and liquidified gas.

 What information must be submitted when applying for an export licence?

The information required in the application form  has to be provided in full. This includes the name and contact details of the exporter and of the declarant/representative, the exporting ship or airline, the port or airport where the goods will be landed, the final destination of the goods, the description of the item being exported, the quantity and the H.S. Code. When the application is for a petroleum product the country of origin must also be specified. For certain goods endorsement by other entities/authorities must be secured on the backside of the same application form prior to presenting it to the Import/Export Unit. For a full explanation of what compiling the form entails, refer to the Guidelines section.

COVID-19 related changes: In view of social distancing measures, the application procedures have been changed. Refer to the Corona Virus Related Measures for further information.

 The form has to be signed by the exporter or the declarant/representative, who must tick the applicable box in section 4.

 From where can I get an export application?

The application form should be filled in electronically and presented to the Commerce Department,  Import/Export Unit - Lascaris Bastions, Daħlet Ġnien is-Sultan, Valletta, VLT 1933.

Ensure that it is printed back to front. The export application should have five sheets (nine pages) including the Holder’s copy and the Issuing Authority’s copy.

What is an HS Code?

The Harmonized System (HS) is a tool for classifying goods. The Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System, also known as tariff nomenclature, is an internationally standardized system of names and numbers to classify traded products.

How can I get the HS Code of an item?

The HS Code can be found from the TARIC Consultation website. The supplier or manufacturer should also be able to provide it. Only the first four digits are required for application purposes​

How much does it cost to apply for an export permit?

Filing of an application is free of charge. Similarly, the issuance of a licence.

How long is an export licence valid for?

An export licence is valid for 1 month from the date of issue.

Can expired licences be renewed?

No, expired licences cannot be renewed. A new application must be filed.

How long does it take to obtain a licence from the day of submission?

Assuming a complete and correct submission, a licence normally only takes a few working days to be issued. However, there are a few exceptions, in particular where inter-departmental consultation has to be carried out post submission. This may be a lengthy process and is not time bound. Inter-departmental review is normally applied for applications concerning petroleum products and where the countries involved are subject to sanctions considerations. 

Do I need an export licence for each item?

A separate application form must be completed for items which do not fall under the same description and HS heading (first four digits). Similarly, if any of the other information requested in the application differs.​.

Can companies based in other countries submit an application for an import licence?

EU or third-country based companies may equally apply for export licences.​​

Last update 3 July 2020​