Importation of Goods

The importation of certain goods are subject to an authorisation or import licence issued by the Trade Services Directorate, in accordance with the Importation Control Regulations, 2004 (L.N. 242 of 2004). These goods are listed in the Schedules to these regulations:
The First Schedule lists those items which require an authorisation when transferred into Malta from Member States of the European Union.
Goods imported from any country outside the European Union, which are listed in the Second Schedule to these regulations, are subject to an import licence.
An import licence is also required for the importation of those goods listed in the Third or Fourth Schedules to these regulations, which originate in those countries indicated by the country codes appearing in the fourth column of the respective schedules. The countries to which these country codes refer are listed in the Fifth Schedule.
The importation of goods listed in the Third Schedule are subject to prior Community surveillance measures in order to monitor the level of imports of these goods into the European Community. The goods listed in the Fourth Schedule are subject to a temporary importation quota. This quota system will be completely removed after 1 January 2005.
Applications for items subject to surveillance measures or temporary importation quotas must be submitted to the Licensing Unit, on a prescribed form and, in most cases, be accompanied by an original export document furnished by the authorities of the supplier country. For certain supplier countries, a copy of the export licence is acceptable. Further information on the availability of the importation quotas may be accessed from the SIGL website
Applications for import licences are obtainable during office hours from the
Import/Export Licensing Unit,
Trade Services Directorate,
Lascaris, Valletta.
Q Which goods require an import/ export licence?
A Only those items listed in the Schedules to the Importation Control Regulations and the Exportation Control Regulations require an import or export licence.
As regards imports, licences are required in the case of certain live animals, meat and fish products, dairy products, vegetables and fruit, beverages, chemicals and chemical preparations, pharmaceuticals, detergents, pyrotechnics, textiles, steel, and weapons.
As regards exports, the present list includes antiques, carts and cabs, local stone, rough diamonds and petroleum products. In addition, exports of dual-use items and military equipment also require an export licence.

Q When applying for an import or export licence, do I require any specific information?
A Yes. The details requested on the application form include the name and address of the importer or exporter, the country of origin, the exporting country or the country of destination, the description of the item being imported or exported, the quantity of the item and the H.S. Code.
Q How can I get the H.S. Code of an item?
A The Customs Department is the competent authority for the classification of the items according to the H.S. Code.